I have been craving a coconut cake but I don't think I've ever made one. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and I modified it a little and it is sooo good! I made it three days ago and it is still really moist and wonderful! (You can find cans of cream of coconut in the alcohol aisle at the grocery store. It's with the mixed drink ingredients.)
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs (add yolks with everything else and then add the whites at the end when everything is well combined)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 oz. softened cream cheese
1/4 cup softened butter/marg
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanillla
remaining cream of coconut
1 tsp. coconut extract
milk for desired consistency (maybe 2-3T.)
- about 1/2 container of Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x13 inch pan.
- Combine the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, cream of coconut and the sour cream and mix well for 4 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared pan. (I lined the bottom of 9" rounds with parchment paper and sprayed them with Pam. It was the first time the cakes came out perfect.)
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 30-35 minutes. Let cake cool for about 5 minutes and then turn out onto cooling racks. Poke holes in the top and spread remaining Cream of Coconut on warm cakes (reserve some for frosting). Allow to completely cool and then frost with cream cheese frosting and top with flaked coconut.
- To Make Frosting: Combine all ingredients except Cool Whip and whip until nice and smooth and a little thick. Then add Cool Whip to make it fluffy. Spread over cooled cake. Top with flaked coconut.
This is the link to the original recipe.