This thing comes out of the oven all bubbly and beautiful, with the cream and cheese having magically made their own amazing sauce. Trust me, you’re going to want to eat these all yourself — but don’t. That would be a big mistake.
• 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (from a precooked deli-roasted chicken)
• 1 cup store-bought salsa verde (green salsa)
• One 4-ounce can diced green chiles
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle chiles
• 2 cups whipping cream
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 8 flour tortillas, fajita size (about 8 inches in diameter)
• 11⁄2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• Fresh cilantro, chopped fine for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. In a bowl, mix the chicken, salsa, green chiles, and chipotles together well. Pour half of the cream into the bottom of a 9 x 13–inch baking dish. Pour the chicken broth into a wide bowl and submerge a flour tortilla until well moistened, about 30 seconds. Remove and place about 1⁄8 of the chicken mixture in the middle of the tortilla, roll it up like a cigar, and place it, seam side down, on the cream in the baking dish. Repeat until all the tortillas are filled and side by side in the dish. Spread the cheese over the enchiladas and pour the remaining 1 cup cream over the top. Bake until starting to brown nicely, about 30 minutes, and serve with a little cilantro.